Saturday 30 April 2016

FROM SOLO TO DAEGU : Ceramics



Hi my silent reader

Today actually i had a plan to go Biseul mount for enjoying the azalea flower festival. But, when i checked on Instagram, people who just came back from there said all azalea already fell down. So being a little bit upset, i decided to make a new posting!

When i got my LASIK surgery, i could not go everywhere. I mean for travelling outside Daegu and Gyeongsan. So i prefer to stay in dorm, cycling around Gyeongsan and making ceramic stuff. I don't know in other part of Indonesia, but i never heard ceramic class in my hometown.

Back to January...

We had a hard time in January. Imagine that you have to school when the day is super duper cool. That was my second semester in Yeungnam Korean Language Institute. Usually every semester we have a special day for cultural trip. In that semester, my teacher suggested us to make ceramic in Daegu. Later she said because we were more than 16 peoples we would have ceramic painting class
I did not have any idea for the class. So just followed my teacher suggestion
my face before LASIK surgery

Bread and Ceramic workshop in one place


when we walked we spotted an ajumma (elderly woman) wore the same style as our teacher
My class (6A) and another class (6B) had to go to Sawol Area. First teacher said it would better to take the subway but later she said since the workshop is little bit far from the subway station she changed the plan and took a bus. The ceramic workshop is Sungmin Ceramic Gallery ( 숭민 도자기 blalala ) i forgot it hahahhaah. If you are in Daegu or Gyeongsan and want to visit there, go to bus 449 or 649 and stop at Gosan Apartment. From bus stop, you have to cross to the moms touch direction and go straight for 15 minutes.


Painting ceramic is not easy at all

When i saw this workshop for first time, my impression was good. But the room was so small. I love how they maximize the space and decorated room. If you open the door, you will be welcomed by the bread smell.
the decoration

fresh from the oven, yummy homemade bread
Then we were directed to a small room. Luckily that room was enough for us. The ceramic teacher asked us to have a sit and wear off our winter jacket. In that room, there were also a lot of ceramic making tools and ceramics itself so we had to be very careful when moved to another position.
We also saw so many ceramic works which placed in open front cupboards.
we listened to the guru explanation 

The teacher waited us until we sat in our chair and she started explaining what we had to do and what was the function of tools in our table. In our table, they already prepared water, sponge, color plate, brushes with different size range. I sat in the corner of long table so actually i could not listen clearly what the teacher spoke about XD. Aha, since we are learning Korean, she spoke in Korean.
After listen to explanation, every of us had to chose one ceramic. We could choose a mug, small mug, bowl or Vietnamese coffee drip and fish plate. I chose the tall mug. Since we came from various nationality, the teacher asked us to draw unique pattern that represented our country or just what we love to draw. I started to google batik pattern since that my favorite design. I thought it would be nice to draw Garuda (Javanese mythical bird). I drew almost all the surface with pencil and took me a long time to paint. Let say i can draw but i am bad at coloring with water color brush. We can use the sponge for erasing our pencil sketch. Some of my friends  erased her drawing sketch for more than twice and ended up asking teacher to draw for her. After two hours focused on drawing an coloring, here is my mug.

my garudaa (little bit failed)

batik wings pattern 

I was not satisfied with my color actually but it was not bad too. After cleaned brush and table, we got free bread and tea. In this time, teacher said she would pick three favorite artwork.And like usual, when i did not expect a thing then i would get award. I won it. My mug was selected as best three. She gave me two small ceramic name tag. So happy :)
After waiting for two weeks, i got mine. The color is more faded then what i expected beforeeee


I will share my ceramic making story in next post. I am afraid it will be too long if i write all here
Enjoy reading :)


Best regards,

Alfiana Raharjo



No comments:

Post a Comment